Today the Washington State Department of Health approved both Moderna and Johnson & Johnson (J&J) COVID-19 booster doses for certain individuals, following the approval of the Pfizer booster last month. The approval of the Pediatric Pfizer vaccine is also expected in the coming weeks.
Due to extremely high patient volumes and ongoing staffing shortages, Island Hospital will have limited booster appointments available three Fridays in November. We are prioritizing patient care at this time and encourage patients and community members to seek a booster dose at a local pharmacy or through Public Health.
COVID-19 booster vaccine information:
- For individuals who initially received the Pfizer or Moderna COVID-19 vaccine, the following groups are eligible for a Moderna (or Pfizer) booster shot at six months or more after their initial series:
- individuals 65 years of age or older;
- individuals 18 and older who are immunocompromised;
- individuals 18 to 64 years of age at high risk of severe COVID-19;
- individuals 18 to 64 who live or work in high-risk settings.
- The Moderna booster is half the regular dose. Pfizer and J&J’s boosters are full doses.
- Individuals 18 years of age or older who initially received the J&J COVID-19 vaccine are encouraged to receive a booster two months or more after their initial dose.
Pediatric Pfizer vaccine (ages 5–11):
- The Pediatric Pfizer vaccine (ages 5-11) is expected to be approved in early November.
- Tribal and Federal sites will receive the first wave of the vaccine when it is shipped.
- The pediatric vaccine is a lower dose than the adult Pfizer vaccine.
- The vaccine will be administered in two doses, 21 days apart.
- Island Hospital will work closely with Public Health, as well as local school officials to determine our role in vaccinations for children, when available.
Finding a vaccine:
- Vaccines are widely available via local pharmacies and through Public Health. To find a vaccine location, please visit: https://vaccinelocator.doh.wa.gov/.
- Due to extremely high patient volumes and ongoing staff shortages at Island Hospital, we will have limited booster appointment availability. We are prioritizing patient care at this time.
- Moderna Booster Shot Clinics are currently planned the first three Fridays in November in Anacortes for those who meet the booster eligibility (see above).
- All appointments will be scheduled online, and scheduling will begin in November. Please check our website on November 1, 2021 for details: https://www.islandhospital.org/coronavirus/.
- Island Hospital’s call center has been experiencing extremely long wait times and will not be able to accommodate booster appointment inquiries, as we’re prioritizing patient care at this time. All vaccine inquiries will be directed to https://www.islandhospital.org/coronavirus/. Thank you for your cooperation and understanding.